Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Paddle hard-




        Once I had a friend tell me:  "To raise kids in San Diego you have to paddle hard."
She had moved here from Utah and was feeling a difference in the culture.   Shortly after this conversation I had an experience at La Jolla cove.


          Our family was visiting The Cove one day and my daughter Megan wanted to swim to the caves.  My dad warned us it was not a good idea because of tides, currents and other conditions.  My dad has lived in San Diego his whole life and knows what he is talking about.  Megan  wanted to go anyway and did not listen to him.  The other cautious family members stayed on the shore while Megan and I headed out.
        My older brother John came with us, probably  to keep us safe and lead the way.  . 
  The direction we were swimming was against the current and it took most of our strength to get to a low cliff for safety.  As we tried to climb out of the water the waves smashed us against the barnacles and the rocks cut the heck out of our legs.  Because of this  Megan began crying and was very scared.   The only way out  of the water was causing us to be slammed hard against hurtful and damaging rocks.

  At this point a kind man who was on the rock said "Come this way, it is safer!"    

 My brother was giving us the same direction from behind. The man put his hand down,  guided us to a smoother path and lifted us out of the water. 

   When everything was over we had blood dripping down our knees from  our cuts.  I have to admit I felt pretty awesome having survived our dangerous adventure. 


  I will briefly explain the point I am trying to make.
  When my children were young I could swim along with them and protect them from the sharks of life.  I could make sure when they went into the deep water they had a  guide beside them who knew the way.  When the tide and currents took them to places they never intended to go, I could help them find the hand that would lift them  to safety.

  Now my girls have grown up and are charting deep waters on their own. 
 I hope they recognize the experienced  voice  warning them  from the shore. 
 I hope they take along  an older brother who loves them   for a guide. 
And when they crash against the rocks I hope they reach up for the hand that waits to pull them to safety.   

I am confident they will.

2 comments:

  1. <3
    If you'renot careful you might bring a tear to my one good eye...
    Thanks Mechelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Vernie, thanks. That means a lot coming from a jokester like you! haha

    ReplyDelete