Monday, June 11, 2012

Restoration


             
                                                                                                                                                                                   When I was in 4th grade we had a behind the scenes tour of  The San Diego Museum of Art.  I remember seeing the process of a painting being restored.  The guide explained that: "The restoration of paintings is a very exact science and must be done by a professional conservator. If you attempt to restore paintings on your own, you may unintentionally cause permanent damage or considerably diminish the value of your painting. "



  In short the steps are to
1.  Carefully clean using a soft brush and special chemicals.
2.  Repair any tears or damage to the painting.
3.  Varnish to protect the painting so it will be stronger in the future

     Right now I am working on the restoration of a family relationship.  I am finding the steps to cleaning a priceless work of art to be helpful.  I will carefully follow the steps as many times as is needed.

  I hope to use a soft brush to clean off any misunderstandings.  I hope to repair any tears or damage I may have inflicted on someones heart.  I will use the very strongest varnish to protect my priceless relationship so it will be stronger in the future. 

   When I was in 4th grade  the physical appearence of a painting in the  process of  restoration   was fascinating to see.  Half the painting was bright and beautiful and the other half was grey and dark.  The tour guide  explained the process of restoration was slow and exact.  I remember thinking "WOW!  That painting must mean a lot to
someone to go to all that work."     


      I guess when you are a kid it just seems easier to throw away something that is old and damaged.   When I was young it seemed like something new and better was just around the corner.  Youth made me impatient, always looking for the fresh and novel.  As I have aged I have learned to value people more.  I have discovered relationships take  work and dedication.  I have come to understand that a soft brush to clean,  the right tools to repair   and the best varnish to protect  are just the tools I need to restore the priceless relationships in my life.

“Success is not to be measured so much by the position that one has reached in life........ as by the obstacles he has overcome by trying to succeed”  ---Booker T. Washington


No comments:

Post a Comment