Saturday, June 9, 2012



  The Art of Friendship


                                                                                                                                                                                                   When I was first Married I read an article called 5 Friends.   It explained that you need 5 good friends in your life to fulfill all your different needs.  Even  if you are  married you should take the time and energy to cultivate 5 quality female relationships.  The reason  you need 5 friends is that you cannot put all your emotional, spiritual, social and physical needs on one person.

    The list in the article went as follows.  One friend that you can exercise with,  One that will keep your secrets, One  "couple friend"  for date nights with your husbands, One friend that shares your personal interests and One friend who will always be there for you in a crisis. 

  I never knew what amazing friends I had until I hit a hard spot last week.  I guess you could call it a crisis.  I didn't really have to mention it because good friends just know.  They knew me well enough to know I was not myself. 


 There were those who were kind enough not to ask the details.  One was always there at the right time with a  supportive word or note.  One who got me away for the day.  One to go the the Temple with.  One who gave me a phone call just when I needed it and I couldn't talk to anyone else.  A few who brought flowers to let me know they were thinking of me.  Gestures of kindness are always most appreciated when they are without judgement.   Friends amaze me when they have so many problems of their own, but listen to me as I work through mine. 

   I have never found 5 friends that fit into the categories listed in the article.  I found something better.  I have  friends who have such tender hearts their qualities can't be listed.  I have  friends who  know what to say to say when I need it the most. 

    Things are getting better.  I am moving forward.   When I look back at this time I hope I remember less of the hurt I felt and more of the loving support I felt from my  friends. 


"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words"  ---Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Just remember the James Taylor song, "You've got a friend."
    "When you're down and troubled
    And you need some loving care
    And nothing, nothing is going right
    Close your eyes and think of me
    And soon I will be there
    To brighten up even your darkest night"
    This is a song that we used for a Kindergarten year end slide show and every time i would see the slide show of these 5 year old cuties, I would cry because I would think of all of my wonderful friendships that I have. Glad you are my friend,
    love,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I love your comment. It is like a mini-blog. :) I think you should start Blogging too!!!

    ReplyDelete