Sunday, September 30, 2012

What my dad taught me.

 
To maintain a joyful family requires much from both the parents and the children. Each member of the family has to become, in a special way, the servant of the others. 
Pope John Paul II 

 
    As I get older I appreciate what my parents have stood for in their lives more and more.  My dad is what you would call a man's man.  He could surf, camp, fish, hunt and always provided for his family.  My dad wasn't perfect-no one is, but his love for his family is a force to be reckoned with. 



I appreciate how my dad always takes the time to teach people how to do things.  He has coached, taught and served in many ways.

    One of the things I loved the most about my dad was his habit of not allowing our family to gossip about people.  I remember many times when we would begin to say something negative and he would clear his throat a little bit. This was a hint to stop going down that road. 

   It sounds like a small thing but I am grateful he helped me early in my life to not participate in hateful talk.  Hateful talk turns to hateful behavior. 



  I am sure he learned this skill from his mother.  I do not remember my grandma Audrey ever saying a bad thing about anyone. 

So, thanks dad for  teaching me to work hard and starting me on the road to being well rounded person.  Because of you I can work on a car, throw a ball, use power tools and keep my mouth shut when I need to.  It sure has been a better life because of many  good things you have done for our family.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him. 
                               ~James D. Miles

  

No comments:

Post a Comment